Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Indestructible

The month of July, for me, became a sort of point of convergence upon where the last three years of God's work in my life came crashing together in a truly awing epiphany, which, for some (and indeed for me now), will sound a bit obvious when they hear it. (Another post on that here.) Basically, the verse from the Sermon on the Mount, "Seek ye first the Kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things will be added unto you," (Matthew 6:33) has become "heart-knowledge" rather than "head-knowledge." God, I believe, is much more detail-oriented than we often give Him credit for.
Now that I've become more sensitive to this character of God, it seems to pop up everywhere in my devotions. Recently, while reading in Philippians, I came across this passage: "3I thank my God in all my remembrance of you, 4always in every prayer of mine for you all making my prayer with joy, 5because of your partnership in the gospel from the first day until now. 6And I am sure of this, that he who began a good work in you will bring it to completion at the day of Jesus Christ. " (Philippians 1:3-6)
While watching a lecture for one of my summer classes, a statement the presenter (Dr. Bill Gothard) made really struck me: "We are indestructible until our work here on earth is done."

What an incredible notion. And as it pertains to this post, now I realise just how blind and helpless I was before the Lord revealed this truth to me. Without defining this term, may I make the statement that faith is not something grand and glorious for us to have or to do; it is believing what is real is really real. Faith is calling black black; a public declaration that the laws with which God has bound this universe are real, sound, and worthy of observance.

But more than that, faith comes with the pluck to admit that something, somewhere, has a better grasp on the workings of the "clocks" of life. Faith doesn't need to analyze or understand what it accepts before it accepts it.
I was a terrible math student for my teachers. I wanted a reason for everything--I wanted to know why an even number of negatives make a positive and an odd number of negatives make a negative when multiplying. No one seemed to have an answer for me other than, "That's the way it is. Accept it." (Apparently my questions drove away my teachers, because by my freshman year of high school I found that my only math teacher was to be my textbook. :P) But the illustration stands: Some things are the way they are, and while God may understand why, He doesn't have to condescend to explain it to us. And even that has a reason behind it, for, "without faith it is impossible to please [God]." (Hebrews 11:6)

So, friends, with that I encourage you to continue to declare that what is real is really real.

No comments:

Post a Comment