Wednesday, August 14, 2013

Revelation

Speaking of lessons from the Lord (this post arose out of this one over here), I realise my true helplessness after something is revealed to me, and go back to 1 Corinthians 1 with renewed insight. Isn't that always the way it works, though? I seem to blunder about in the dark on a particular subject until the Spirit swoops down and blinds me with a crashing bolt of light and truth, and after navigating through the lighted area, I look back and think, "Hasn't it always been this bright?" And then I realise over just how many years that bolt of light spanned, and pick out a new golden thread in my life the Lord is weaving together.
It reminds me indirectly of the circuit rider from the book, Caddie Woodlawn. He brought a clock which had stopped on account of neglect for Mr. Woodlawn to fix. When asked what was wrong with it, he hesitates, and is described as someone who, "knew all about horses and ways of predicting the weather; he could quote you almost any passage in the Bible and make clear the book of Revelations. But anything wheels or cogs or springs was an unfathomable mystery to him."

I therefore contend that life, and the general workings therein, is composed of myriad unfathomable "clocks." I ask the Lord to teach me the deep mystery of the workings of one particular clock, and when He opens the casing and teaches me the inner workings of the wheels and cogs and springs, it seems such a simple machine compared to the contrivance of mechanical workings it was before.

"For the foolishness of God is wiser than men," declares Paul, "and the weakness of God is stronger than men." (1 Corinthians 1:25)

No comments:

Post a Comment